My house (thump) is filled (thump) with a constant (thump,
thump, thump) drum-(thump) beat. Thump,
thump, thump, thump, thump. Annoyed
yet? Try living with an 11-year old boy
who is constantly playing with balls.
Nope, not those balls.
(Although, that might be quieter, so I might welcome it. I'll get back
to you on that in the next couple years.)
These are soccer balls, tennis balls, really anything round that could
possibly be called a ball.
Parker plays soccer.
Saturdays are games, Mondays and Wednesdays are practices. And every other minute of his life (at home)
is spent kicking and throwing balls. His
bedroom has become his own personal sports arena. All he needs in there are (yup) his balls, a
pen, and his brackets. I swear the kids
has brackets for his brackets. Now you
will ask "what are brackets and how does this apply to his
balls?". I don't truly get it, but
he plays fantasy 'games' with the balls.
Sometimes it is hockey teams, playing with little rubber stress balls. Two teams play against each other,
round-robin-style, they get eliminated until I hear something like "Hey,
mom, the Red Wings won in my bracket today". What that means is something that only his
brain truly understands. So I smile and
nod, just glad that for that brief moment, the thump has stopped. Tomorrow, it might be a tennis ball and the
Minnesota Vikings have succeeded. (thump)
Yesterday, he tried to play basketball with the Christmas ornaments I had out
to make a wreath. (This was more of a
ting-ting-ting, but equally annoying.)
Someone is always asking "What on earth is Parker doing
up there?" (Right now, he is using
his balls to pretend he has uneven boobs in his shirt. I give him about 3 minutes of this before the
thumping begins again-or he decides to line them up in his pants like a giant
penis.) We ask him nicely to stop
playing with his balls. That usually
lasts about 37 seconds until we hear it again.
Then one of the girls will say, "Parker, please stop." That lasts about 12 seconds. Then it's Jeff or I yelling, "Parker,
knock it off and put your balls away", followed by some under-the-breath
term of endearment that rhymes with "trucker" and starts with an
"f".
Now any good parent would be asking "Why don't you just
take away the balls?". Oh, my dear friends,
we have. They have been on top of our cabinets, in our trash, in our drawers,
our closet, our basement, garage. . . and yet they mysteriously find their way
back. I think he must just keep a
personal stash of them somewhere, hidden under an invisibility cloak. I'm telling you, ANYTHING round, and he is
compelled to launch it. (Maybe it is
time to move the fat Guinea Pig out of his room, now that I think of it.) Nothing
we have been able to do will keep the constant thump at bay.
And even more obnoxious is the thump of his entire body when
he chases after these balls. He throws
the ball and then his body. It kind of
like someone trying to play catch with himself.
We have no problem playing catch with him outside when the weather
cooperates, but more often than not, he is perfectly content with his self-made
version. It sucks! (thump, thump, thump) The windows shake and the dogs run for
cover. I cringe with every new
thump. But it ends (thank goodness!)
when he is finally asleep; my hair simmers back down on my head, my eyes
stopped bulging out of their sockets, and my blood pressure returns to
normal. Only to have him hit the wall in
his sleep, shaking me awake once again. . .
Dayna
ps. He chose to make
new butt cheeks with the balls instead of the penis.

No comments:
Post a Comment